Getting Involved in Breast Cancer Awareness Month

How-To, LifeStyle on October 11, 2016

Nearly 1 in 8 women will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime. With a staggering statistic like that, it’s safe to say that most everyone knows at least one person who has or had breast cancer.

Breast cancer isn’t just a disease that impacts women, though. It’s estimated that in 2016, 2,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men.

Since 1985, October has been recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. With different walks you can participate in, or businesses you can support during this month, there are plenty of ways to get involved in your area.

  1. Donate your car. We’re kicking this list off with a biggie! Susan G. Komen has a program where individuals can donate their vehicle to raise money for breast cancer research. When sold, 75% of the proceeds go to the local Komen affiliate in Phoenix, and the other 25% go towards research on the national level.
  1. Walk for the cure. On October 22 at Tempe Beach Park, the American Cancer Society will be hosting “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer,” a three-mile walk to raise awareness and dollars for finding a cure for breast cancer. This family event begins at 8 AM and has already raised over $192,000.
  1. Eat at the right places. Many restaurants will feature a “Pink Ribbon” item during the month of October. When these select items are ordered, a percentage of that purchase will be donated to breast cancer research. Be sure to ask the restaurants you eat at how they’re participating!
  2. Stretch it out. In partnership with the Arizona Diamondbacks, the City of Hope is hosting “Yoga for Hope” at Chase Field. On November 5, join top yoga instructors in Arizona on centerfield as they raise money for cancer! Ticket are $30 and City of Hope is aiming to raise $50,000.
  1. Encourage the women in your life to get tested. According to the American Medical Association, women 40 years and older should be getting routine mammograms. Encourage your sisters, wife, daughters, and any other women in your life to talk to their doctor and get tested. Early detection is key.

Breast cancer is something that affects all of us. Joining together with your local community to raise awareness and money for the cure is key! We can all make a difference.